Mr. and Mrs. Brewington

Mr. and Mrs. Brewington
Our official wedding day, May 1, 2011

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Maynard James Keenan

I thought it would be fun to title this post with Jesse's all-time FAVORITE music artist. He is the lead singer to all Jesse's favorite bands: Perfect Circle, Tool, and Pucifer. Personally, his music tends to get farther and farther from what I enjoy with every new band he starts up, but Jesse LOVED him. Even had the Perfect Cirlce tatooed on his back as many of you know. Also tried to casually convince me that if we ever had a boy someday, he really like the name Maynard, but Keenan would do to. Jesse went to SO MANY of Maynard's concerts, usually with his very best friends, Ron, Haggy, Pete, amongst others. They were scheduled to see one after Jesse was sick, I believe I mentioned it on caringbridge. Reflecting on that time is just an example of the many, many ways people reached out to do something extra special for Jesse. The boys called ahead to make sure we could find a comfortable spot for Jesse, and the venue, Roy Wilkins, I believe it was, was easily accommodating. Even though Jesse never made it, I will not forget their kindness and willingness to help out. Jesse was also hospitalized shortly before this concert, and one of the hospital residents called my personal cell to ask if Jesse would appreciate meeting Maynard in person, if there was any way he could arrange it. ARE YOU KIDDING!?! I said! Unfortantely, he was unsuccessful, but the thought and the fact that he cared enough to try was special.

It just so happens that Maynard also owns a winery down in northern Arizona. I mention this because almost immediately after Jesse signed us up for Netflix, he requested this documentary on Maynard's vineyard expeditions that he promptly forced me to sit through...If you haven't seen it, BORING! Ha. I guess I'd just much rather hear about wine while I was drinking A LOT of it. ;) For expertly organizing all the music in my sister, Kayla's and brother-in-law Greg's wedding, they bought him a t-shirt and a bottle from this particular winery and had it shipped to Jesse. He LOVED the t-shirt and wore it often. Since this was in February after Jesse's first round of chemo, he told us all that we would share the bottle together after he was cured. I still have that bottle, waiting for something. I don't know what. Maybe I'll never open it. Anyway, tomorrow morning, my sister, Kayla, friend, Bethany, and I are flying out to Arizona for a couple of reasons, but on the agenda is to make a stop at Merkin Vineyards - Caduceous Cellars, in memory of Jesse. I hope that through our experience, he'll get to experience this place he very much wanted to go to but never had the chance.

I want to try to share with you all many of my memories of Jesse and the things we did together in our life and the things we had hoped to do one day. I SO APPRECIATE the story Leah shared about Robinhood. I can picture it perfectly, and I am so grateful for the smile it puts on my face every time I read it. Again, I encourage any and all of you following this blog to share your stories. I cherish them. Thank you, and I hope to post again soon. ~K

No comments:

Post a Comment